Chairing Disciplinary Hearings
How to chair disciplinary hearing fairly and effectively
This workshop considers what information needs to be presented in a disciplinary hearing and how the meeting should be conducted. The workshop utilises a mixture of resources, case studies and discussion.
Conducting a fair process
- How to identify the relevant policy and procedures
- What are ACAS's best practice guidelines?
- What are the rules of 'natural justice'?
- What is the role of HR?
- What are the rights of the employee?
The Disciplinary Meeting
- How to prepare for a disciplinary hearing
- How to organise the hearing
- How to decide who should chair the hearing
- How to decide who needs to attend
- What records need to be kept?
Chairing the hearing
- What evidence should be presented?
- How to manage adjournments
- Some common pitfalls - and how to manage them
- What is the decision making process
After the hearing
- How to communicate the decision
- What are legitimate grounds for an appeal?
- How to conduct an appeals process