Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
“We inhabit a universe that is characterized by diversity.”
Over the last few years there has been increasing awareness of the importance of promoting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace.
As well as explaining the relevant legislation, this course demonstrates how the principles of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion can be harnessed to make a happier, more productive team.
The importance of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- What Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) means and why they are important.
- The commercial benefits of managing EDI effectively.
- Becoming an appropriate EDI role model.
- A brief introduction to the legal framework and how it applies.
- Understanding Protected Characteristics under the Equality Act.
Direct and indirect discrimination
- Discrimination: avoiding it, identifying it, dealing with it.
- Challenging discrimination and asking for change. Supporting team members.
- Understanding the difference between direct and indirect discrimination.
- Identifying, mitigating and managing potential indirect discrimination.
- Understanding and identifying unconscious bias in ourselves and others.
- How to avoid unconscious bias having a negative impact.
- Challenging unconscious bias in both individual interactions and organisationally.
- The importance of language for promoting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
The Active Bystander
- The role of the Active Bystander.
- Recognising when something isn't right and taking action to support those affected.